Lake Myvatn is undoubtedly the diamond of North Iceland. The first thing that we encounter is the Laxá river to the left of the highway best known for it’s beauty and variety of birds. Then we get to clusters of pseudocraters at Skútustaðir, which were created a few thousand years ago by hot lava flowing over wetland and into the lake, followed by steam explosions.
Next stop is at the bizarre lava formation in Dimmuborgir, and a visit to Grjótagjá, an underground geothermal river formed by the drift of two separating tectonic plates. After that we head to Námafjall to visit the boiling bubbling sulphur pits (solfatara).
My local knowledge and Super-Jeep brings the opportunities to visit places that are not accessible by normal cars.
There are many optional things to see and do in the area of Lake Myvatn and Private tours are tailor made by the needs of my visitors.
Among the things in the area there are quite many worth mentioning:
- The explosive crater called Víti.
- Krafla volcano, solfataras, fumaroles, filming location of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and the Geothermal Power station.
- Sigurgeir´s Bird Museum (exhibits 180 bird species).
- A visit to the Nature Baths.
- Vogafjós cowshed. Vogafjós restaurant is located inside a cowshed and offers homemade local food such as smoked trout, mozzarella and salad cheese made from our own milk, Geysir bread baked in the geothermal heat as well as the delicious Geysir bread ice cream and homebaked cakes.
- The steamy Grjótagjá fissure is set amid a geothermal valley of red and black gravel. Grjótagjá is 2km (1 1/4 miles) from the Storagjá-Dimmuborgir trailhead. Two portals are in the heaving lava lead to an enticing hot spring and pool. Climb down and sit by the water.
- Hverfjall the monolithic, striated black mountain shaped like a dog-bowl is unmistakable from anywhere in the vicinity. Hverfjall, which is often incorrectly identified as “Hverfell” is a rare (and particularly enormous) example of a tephra explosion crater. It was formed 2,500 to 2,900 years ago, when rising magma met with groundwater, forcing a massive explosion of steam, ash, and rock. The rim is 1km (1/2 mile) in diameter, and the crater is 140m (459 ft.) deep, with a round nub at the center.
And countless more…
Since I live in the area I have the opportunity to bring my guests to the old farm I grew up at, to meet the locals.
In the Winter time, this tour can also be suitable as a Northern Lights tour, the area is excellent to view the Northern Lights.
Tour price: ISK 140.000,- (Super-Jeep private tour with maximum of 6 persons)
- This is a private tour and is all year around – daily on request, reservation required.
- Departures are optional: Pick up in Akureyri or Akureyri airport, Húsavík, Laugar or the Mývatn area.
- Departure time is on request and the duration of the tour is variable, as it is always tailor made.
- Included is fully guided tour and transportation.
- Refreshments are not included in price.
For more information and booking, contact me with email at email@example.com or by phone +354 6505252